What’s on 2019
Take a look at the Great Yorkshire Show highlights for 2019
NB: Highlights for 2020 will be available to view here from May 2020
A full timetable of activities will be available in the Souvenir Programme, which will be available to pre-order from April until Wednesday 8 July 2020.
Take a look at the varied programme of events taking place across the three days of the Great Yorkshire Show.
NB: Highlights for 2020 will be available to view here from May 2020
Art displays, covering a variety of mediums will be available to view at the Art Show across all three days. It’s free to view and pieces of work are available to buy.
Artists will also hold a number of demonstrations 10am – 5pm each day.
Topspec White Rose Ring hosts equestrian classes across all three days including:
- Tuesday– Coloured Horses & Ponies (Ridden), Riding Horses, Open & Novice Working Hunters followed by the Working Hunter Championship
- Wednesday– Hunter Breeding & Hunter Youngstock, Riding Pony Breeding & Youngstock, Ladies Side Saddle Preliminary, Ridden Mountain & Moorland (Large Breeds) & Championships
- Thursday– Ridden Show Ponies, Intermediate Show Riding Type, Cuddy Supreme, Show Hunter Ponies & Champioship, Intermediate Show Hunter
Ridings Ring hosts equestrian classes across all three days including:
- Tuesday– Shires, Clydesdales, Mixed Mountain & Moorland In-Hand, Irish Draught – Breeding, Highlands & Cleveland Bays
- Wednesday– Coloured Youngstock, Dales, Fells, Dartmoors, Donkeys & Miniature Shetlands
- Thursday– Shetlands, Lead Rein, First Ridden, Mini Championship, Mountain & Moorland First Ridden, Mountain & Moorland Mini Championship, Lead Rein Pony of Hunter Type, Side Saddle demonstration
Judging for beef and dairy classes takes place mainly on Tuesday and Wednesday, culminating in The Grand Cattle Display in the Main Ring on Wednesday and Thursday.
Thursday sees the judging of the Beef Young Stock Handler and Peoples’ Choice competitions. The cattle remain at the Great Yorkshire Show for all three days.
We have taken the decision to cancel all pig classes at this year’s Great Yorkshire Show.
This is not a decision taken lightly and has been taken as a matter of precaution due to one confirmed report of a pig showing signs of illness at a recent show.
Animal welfare is of paramount importance to us and Great Yorkshire Show organisers have taken this step as a precautionary measure to eliminate any potential risk.
The Sheep Rings hosts the judging of sheep classes with sheep on display nearby:
- Tuesday– Commercial lamb, carcase, sheep breed and wool fleece classes
- Wednesday– Sheep interbreed championships, Young Handlers, Peoples’ Choice
- Thursday – Wool on the hoof
The Goat Ring hosts the judging of the goat classes with goats on display in the nearby Goat Building:
- Tuesday– Milking competitions, goatlings & female kids
- Wednesday– First & Second Inspection, Parade & Presentation of Cups
Game Cookery Theatre
Demonstrations from Yorkshire chefs using the best Yorkshire produce in the Country Pursuits Area. Come and see how the professionals do it between 9.30am – 4.30pm each day, with all recipes focussed on ‘game’. TV chef Rosemary Shrager creates her dish at 3pm each day.
Great Yorkshire Food Theatre
Visit the Great Yorkshire Food Theatre, located in the Food Hall, where a jam packed timetable runs from 9.30am – 4.30pm each day. Highly respected Yorkshire chefs will share their secrets on how to create the perfect dish. TV chef Rosemary Shrager will be there for her demo at 11am each day.
The Discovery Zone at the Great Yorkshire Show provides FREE ‘hands-on’ interactive learning opportunities for all the family! From face painting to Goat World, sausage making to willow weaving!
The Discovery Zone’s “Gen Z” is a BRAND NEW addition for young adults visiting the Show. Offering a range of exciting activities to take part in; using agri-tech, microscopes, planting skills and even veterinary techniques to master calving a cow!
The Discovery Zone is organised by the Charitable Activities team of the Yorkshire Agricultural Society.
Family Area at the Discovery Zone
The Main Ring is at the heart of the Great Yorkshire Showground, home to the Grand Cattle Parade (Wednesday and Thursday at 2pm) as well as the Motorcycle Display Team (all three days). Sporting soprano Lizzie Jones will also be performing each day.
Show jumping classes are also held here with two classes each day. Equestrian classes held in the Main Ring include Ridden Hunters, Ladies Side Saddle finals, Heavy Horses, Ridden Mountain & Moorland, Ridden Cobs, Scurry, Mountain & Moorland Lead Reign and Welsh A – D classes.
President’s Lawn Bandstand
Live music from bands between 10am – 5pm each day:
- Tuesday –Casablanca Steps, Mr Wilson’s Second Liners
- Wednesday – Casablanca Steps, Sarah Brickel Band
- Thursday– Back Chat Brass
The Yorkshire Agricultural Society awards celebrate the very best of those living and working in agriculture
- Tuesday– YAS Awards and RABI/YAS Oustanding Contribution to Yorkshire Agriculture Award
- Wednesday– YAS Tye Trophy, Student Awards, Long Service Awards
Country Pursuits Arena
A variety of country pursuits demonstrations will be on display between 9am – 4.30pm each day.
All demonstration take place on all three days including:
- Decoying woodpigeons
- Gundog demonstration
- Pakefield Ferrets
- Flycasting demonstration
- A Year in the Life of a Grouse Moor
- Modern Deer Management & Practice
- Display of Hounds
- Falconry Display
- Wildfowlers Past & Present
Professional fashion shows will take place on the catwalk each day at 11am, 12.30pm, 2.30pm and 4pm. There will be a one-off celebrity special on Tuesday at 2.30pm.
Classes for the Hound Show:
- Tuesday– Beagles & Harriers and demonstration of judging beagles
- Wednesday– Foxhounds
- Thursday– Working Terriers
Other competitions running across all three days throughout the showground:
- Hives & Honey
- Sheep Shearing
- Flowers & Horticulture
- Horse Shoeing
- Wrought Ironwork
Judging of cheese and dairy classes take place during Tuesday with award presentations taking place on Wednesday.
Don’t miss the Grand Cheese auction takes place on Thursday (time to be confirmed).
Rabbits, Pigeons & Poultry
Classes for Rabbits, Pigeons & Poultry:
- Tuesday– Rabbits
- Wednesday– Pigeons
- Thursday– Poultry
Forestry & Woodworking
Demonstrations are between 8.30am – 5pm every day including:
- Working with Wood
- Harvester vs Chainsaw
- Cumbrain Axemen
- 2019 Pole Climbing Championships
- Monster chipper at work!
- Working Horse demonstration
- The Professionals – Arboriculturalist vs White Van Man
Visit the Garden Show stage between 10.30am – 4.30pm each day and pick up some top tips.
Daily items include:
- BBC Radio York Gardener’s Question Time
- Floral Delights with Jonathan Moseley
- Wednesday– School Vegetable Box Presentation
- Thursday– Peoples’ Choice Award Presentation