What’s on 2021
While we have a packed timetable of competitions and displays, due to Covid restrictions some areas have changed or won’t take place this year.
There’s a new woodland trail with demonstrations in the Forestry Section and for the first time ever, there will be demonstrations from Riding for the Disabled Association (RDA) on the Thursday morning.
There will be displays of woodcraft, cheese, rabbits and hives & honey although these sections will not have competitions this year. There won’t be a Cheese and Dairy Show or cheese auction this year.
Sections that won’t feature in this year’s show include the Fashion Show, the WI Stand, the pole climbing competition and the Cookery Theatre in the Food Hall although the Game Cookery Theatre will go ahead as usual.
Take a look below for this years Great Yorkshire Show highlights.
A full timetable of activities will be available in the Souvenir Programme, which will be available to pre-order from 1 June until Wednesday 7 July 2021.
Take a look at the varied programme of events taking place across the three days of the Great Yorkshire Show.
Art displays, covering a variety of mediums, created by Yorkshire artists, will be available to view at the Art Show, in Hall 1, across all four days. It’s free to view and pieces of work are available to buy.
Topspec White Rose Ring hosts equestrian classes across all four days including:
- Tuesday – Ridden Coloureds Horses, Open Working Hunters, Novice Working Hunters, Working Hunter Championship
- Wednesday – Hunter Breeding & Youngstock, Riding Pony Breeding & Youngstock, Ladies Side-Saddle, Ridden Maxi Cob, Riding Horses, Retrained Racehorse
- Thursday – Ridden Mountain & Moorland Small & Large Breeds, Welsh A, Welsh B, Welsh C, Welsh D, Dartmoor/Exmoor/Shetlands, Connemara, Highlands, Dales, Fells, Small & Large Breeds Championships, Overall Breed Championship
- Friday – Ridden Show Ponies & Championship, Intermediate Show Riding Type & Championship, Cuddy Supreme Championship, Show Hunter Ponies & Championship, Intermediate Show Hunter
Ridings Ring hosts equestrian classes across all four days including:
- Tuesday – Clydesdales, Shires, Cleveland Bays, Irish Draught – Breeding
- Wednesday – Coloured Youngstock, Mixed Mountain & Moorland in-hand, Miniature Shetlands, Donkeys, Dartmoors
- Thursday – Mountain & Moorland Lead Rein, Mountain & Moorland First Ridden, Mountain & Moorland Mini Championship, Riding For The Disabled
- Friday – Shetlands, Lead Rein, First Ridden, Mini Championship, Lead Reid of Hunter Type, Side Saddle Demonstration
- Tuesday – Commercial Beef Young Stock Handlers, Dairy & Supreme Dairy Championship
- Wednesday – Commercial Beef, Dairy Young Stock Handlers, Dairy Maiden Heifer, Blythewood Dairy Pairs, Dairy Exhibitor Bred Pairs & Championship, Dairy Junior Championship, Grand Parade of Commercial Beef & Dairy Cattle
- Thursday – Pedigree Beef
- Friday – Beef Young Stock Handlers, Supreme Beef Championship, Blythewood Beef Pairs, Junior Beef Championship, Grand Parade
- Tuesday – Modern Pig Breed Classes
- Wednesday – Modern Pig Breed Championships
- Thursday – Traditional Pig Breed Classes
- Friday – Traditional Pig Breed Championships
The Sheep Rings hosts the judging of sheep classes with sheep on display nearby:
- Tuesday – MV Accredited Sheep Breed Classes
- Wednesday – Wool Fleece Classes from Accredited breeds, Interbreed MV Supreme & Pairs Championship, Wool on the Hoof MV Accredited, Young Handlers MV Accredited
- Thursday – Non Accredited Sheep Breed Classes, Wool Fleece Classes from Non Accredited Breeds
- Friday – Commercial Female Championship, Interbreed Non Accredited Supreme Championship, Interbreed Non Accredited Sheep Pairs Championship, Wool on the Hoof Non Accredited Competition, Young Handlers Non Accredited Classes
The Goat Ring hosts the judging of the goat classes with goats on display in the nearby Goat Building:
- Tuesday – Milking Competitions, Goatlings and Female Kids
- Wednesday – Novice Goat Handler Classes, Parade and Presentation of Cups & Trophies
- Thursday – Milking Competitions, Goatlings and Female Kids – Yorkshire Dairy Goats
- Friday – Novice Goat Handler Classes, Parade and Presentation of Cups & Trophies – Yorkshire Dairy Goats
Game Cookery Theatre
Demonstrations from Yorkshire chefs using the best Yorkshire produce in the Countryside Pursuits Area. Come and see how the professionals do it, with all recipes focussed on ‘game’.
Details of which chefs will be appearing each day will be available here soon.
Family Area at the Discovery Zone
Offering a range of free activities and workshops for children of primary age through to teenagers. From making sausage rolls to willow weaving, learning about avoiding food waste and visiting the school garden, there is something for everyone to enjoy and lots to learn about farming, food and the countryside.
The Discovery Zone is organised by the Charitable Activities team of the Yorkshire Agricultural Society.
The Main Ring is the heart of the Great Yorkshire Showground, home to the Grand Cattle Parade (Wednesday and Friday at 2pm) as well as our Main Ring Attraction for 2021, which is to be announced soon.
As well as two show jumping classes each day there will also be equestrian classes:
Tuesday – Ridden Hunters: Novices, Ridden Hunters: Weights, Heavy Horse Singles
Wednesday – Small Hunters, Irish Draught Ridden, Ridden Cobs & Championship, Heavy Horse Pairs
Thursday – Highlands, Dales, Fells, Heavy Horse Teams, Scurry class 1 – small ponies
Friday – Welsh A, Welsh B, Welsh C, Welsh D, Scurry class 2 – large ponies, Heavy Horse Turnout Display, Scurry Championship, Pony Club Games
The popular Cock o’the North Show Jumping Competition will be held on Thursday this year.
President’s Lawn Bandstand
Live music from bands each day:
- Tuesday – Mr Wilsons Second Liners, Casablanca Steps
- Wednesday – Mr Wilsons Second Liners, Casablanca Steps
- Thursday – Sarah Brickell, Back Chat Brass
- Friday – Sarah Brickell, Back Chat Brass
The Yorkshire Agricultural Society awards celebrate the very best of those living and working in agriculture
- Tuesday – YAS Awards and RABI/YAS Outstanding Contribution to Yorkshire Agriculture Award
- Wednesday – YAS Student Awards, Long Service Awards
Countryside Pursuits Arena
A variety of country pursuits’ demonstrations will be on display each day, which includes:
- Falconry Display
- Flycasting Demonstration
- Gundog Demonstration
- Ferret Display
A full list of demonstrations will be available to view here soon.
Professional fashion shows will take place on the catwalk each day at 11am, 12.30pm, 2.30pm and 4pm. There will be a one-off celebrity special on Tuesday at 2.30pm.
Classes for the Hound Show:
- Tuesday – Beagles & Harriers
- Wednesday – Foxhounds
- Thursday – Working Terriers
- Friday – NEW FOR 2021 – Bloodhounds & Draghounds
Other displays and demonstrations running across all four days throughout the Showground:
- Sheep Shearing
- Flowers & Horticulture
- Horse Shoeing
- Wrought Ironwork
Judging of cheese and dairy classes take place during Tuesday with award presentations taking place on Wednesday.
Don’t miss the Grand Cheese auction takes place on Thursday (time to be confirmed).
Rabbits, Pigeons & Poultry
- Tuesday – Display of Rabbits
- Wednesday – Pigeon classes
- Thursday – Poultry classes
- Friday – Display of Poultry
Forestry & Woodworking
Come and explore the woodland, just behind the climbing poles where can find a number of woodcraft demonstrations, browse pictures from our photographic competitions and learn more about tree identification.
Visit the Garden Show stage and pick up some top tips!
Daily items include:
- Gardener’s Question Time
- Floral Delights with Jonathan Moseley
More details will be available soon.